Monday, February 22, 2010

The Girls’ First Trip

Last Weds. Brian had to go out of town for several days so we decided it would be a good time for me to go visit my family in Panama City, FL. I thought it would be a simple trip since the flight was about 1.5 hours. On the way down Brian went to the airport with us to catch his flight so he was able to help me clear security and get the girls fed and changed at the gate. (BTW, I know security has to be thorough, but do I seriously need to take everything out of my diaper bag, take both girls out of the stroller/car seat, and send every bottle I have on those nasty buckets through the X-ray machine?) Anyway, Brian’s flight left before mine so I was at the gate for about an hour before I was allowed to board. I put Addi in the baby carrier since she tends to be a little fussier and left Emma in the car seat. Both girls did well for about 20 minutes after Brian left. Then, they started to get fussy. God sent me two special angels to help. A mother of twins came over and asked if she could help me. Her twins were 22 years old and she knew what I was going through. She fed Emma and when it was time for early boarding her and her husband helped me with the stroller and car seats. The girls were great on the flight down! They slept the entire way! (The flight home is a different story. I will get to that in a minute.)

(Emma below. Yes, I did tape a bow in her hair for this picture!)

Addison and her Nanny Charlotte

Emma and her big Daddy

(Addison with all the toys her cousin thought she might like to play with.)

Addison and Layla


It was nice to see my family. My niece, Layla, my aunts, Donna and Carol, and my father and mother-in-law came to visit the girls too. Some of my family thought the girls looked more like Brian. Most of my family had trouble telling them apart, so I guess they must be identical, although, they still look different to me. The girls were a little fussy on this visit. They did not nap well and cried more than usual, which was a little stressful. We took the girls on one outing to see my grandmother and her husband. Other than that we just hung out around the house. My friend Lindsey and her boyfriend, Neal, also came to visit. It was really a lot of fun to see how the girls interact with new people. Emma loves to smile and Addi was quite the talker on this visit. Usually Emma talks more than her sister. The weather was also really nice so we were able to take the girls outside for some pictures and for a long walk with my brother, Justin.

(My Aunt Carol feeding Emma)
Addison and her great grandmother

Layla, my mom, and Emma

(Emma and my mom. Emma discovered TV on this trip.)

(Addison with my Aunt Donna. Yes, her bow is also taped to her head!)

Emma

Do you think they need a pair of shades?

Addison with my dear friend Lindsey.

Addison looking at her Uncle Justin.

Addison on Grandma's lap.

Emma, Addison, and Layla

Uncle Justin with Emma

Me holding Addison, my mom with Emma

Lindsey, Neal and Emma


The flight home was a lot more stressful than the flight there. It took almost 45 minutes to clear security so there was no time to feed and change the girls. The flight was oversold so we had to wait for people to volunteer to give up their seat. When we finally boarded we had to wait for another 4 people to volunteer to get off the plane because the ratio of weight to fuel was too high. Addison decided it was a good time to scream her head off as soon as we got to our seats. On both flights we were seated in the absolute last seats on the plane by the bathroom! Do these airport workers realize how difficult it is to carry a car seat with a baby in it and another baby strapped to your body and a diaper bag around your arm? As I walked to my seat this nice young man offered to carry my diaper bag for me. When I said thank you he said, “No problem. I feel sorry for you.” They did not let me board the plane early so I bumped into almost every passenger on the way to my seat. Most people were understanding and just looked at me very sympathetically. A few others shot me daggers. We had to wait on the plane about an hour before we finally took off. Addison stopped crying about 20 minutes into the air. Emma is such a trooper! She didn’t even whine the entire plane ride. Feeding both girls on the plane was a challenge. Addison got so frustrated that she didn’t really eat a lot. Emma downed about 6 ounces and went to sleep. A nice man helped me off the plane when we landed, and Brian was waiting for us at the gate. I was never so happy to see him in my life! In closing, I don’t see any trips alone with the girls in my future until they are a little older.

Addison and Uncle Jacob


I loved being able to spend time with my family and friends. I was especially grateful that my Aunts, Carol and Donna, were able to come meet the girls. They drove a long way to see us! Next time I hope I remember to get a picture of all of us together.

3 comments:

  1. Robin, you are officially my hero! What an amazing mom you are! There is no way I would be able to handle my two monkeys on a plane trip alone...absolutely no way. I still panic getting them into the car and to their babysitter's house 20 minutes away. Just tacking on a diaper bag inspection to that daily feat would put me right over the edge. I don't "feel sorry for you," as that well-intentioned passenger said...I think you rock!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa, Justin has a beard! A full grown one, too!!!

    Glad you survived! I know it was stressful being out of a routine and being out of the safety zone of home. But I'm sure the girls loved the experience, even if they didn't adequately express it on the way home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are one brave Mommy!!! Congrats on making your first trip with just you and the girls!!!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.